Wednesday, January 2, 2013

365 Days of Crockpotting ~Day 2!

I have a really bad habit of starting a recipe without reading it through all the way. Read your recipe ALL the way through first! For the second day of 2013, I decided to try a mac n' cheese crock pot recipe. Since I had to be at work at noon today I started getting it ready around 9:30. I prepped everything the way it was telling me according to the directions and then realized that it only needed to cook a total of 2 hours. 9:30am...and this crock pot dish was for dinner! Oops! So I ended up putting the whole crock pot in the refrigerator and setting my Cozi Planner to deliver the cooking instructions to my husbands phone around 3pm. I knew I was risking soggy noodles, but I still needed to take a shower and drop G off at Papa's house. So I took a chance. It actually was really good. The hubs liked it too, except for the lack of bacon...I think he would eat bacon with everything. :) Enjoy!

Slow Baked Mac N Cheese 
Source: A Whisk and A Prayer Blog
1 1/2 cups milk
One 12 oz can evaporated milk (I used skim, evaporated milk keeps the egg and milk from curdling)
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled to room temp
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups (12 oz) shredded cheese (I used an Italian blend, recipe calls for Italian fontina cheese)
1/2 pound elbow macaroni or mini penne tubes, par cooked and drained (this means cook them for about five minutes until tender but not completely cooked)
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Spray the inside of your slow-cooker with cooking spray or grease it with olive oil. Combine milk, evaporated milk, eggs, butter, and salt in slow-cooker and whisk until until smooth (or you can use an immersion blender to do the whisking for you).


Add the shredded cheese (not the Parmesan) and macaroni, sprinkle with black pepper (and whatever other spices you want to use). Stir gently with a spatula to coat evenly.

Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top. Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes. After30 minutes, reduce the temperature to LOW and cook for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, until custard is set in the center and the pasta is tender. The macaroni and cheese may sit in the cooker on the KEEP WARM setting for 30 minutes before serving. Serve and enjoy! 


~Enjoy!
Melissa~

No comments:

Post a Comment