Thursday, July 8, 2010

Jello Shots!

  My husband  works in home construction. He is an electrician, so that is one of his main jobs there. Despite the heat and awful humidity, he does like his job. I think he would rather be outside any day rather than work at AT&T again in the call center! Talk about a stressful job!! Even though the pay is half of what he made at AT&T, we are both thankful he has a job he enjoys with normal hours and much closer to home. God has been so good to us!
  I know...what does that have to do with jello shots?? Well, every year the company goes on a float trip. I've gone in previous years and it is always lots of fun. They travel down the day before and set up camp. The next morning they head down to the river for the float trip. Canoes are overrated next to the rafts. The rafts provide more room, comfort, and a lot more fun! I think one of the favorite things (esp. for the guys) is watching people crash or flip over and then going to save them! Don't ask me why. So the last time I went, I made jello shots. I thought it would be something different for them. This year, I'm making them again. Only I'll be smarter about it this time!
  Let's just say my last jello shots were a little messy. They were good and people enjoyed them. However I used plastic dixie cups and they didn't have lids, so they got a little wet inside the cooler and then we ended up throwing the rest away. So today I'm going to head out and find the little 2 ounce cups with LIDS! This will be sooooo much better!
  My recipes?? I found these on drinkstreet.com. I'm making Rum & Coke Jello Shots along with Margarita Jello shots! I think the guys will really enjoy these ones. I'll also be making Fruity Pebbles Rice Krispy Treats (a favorite of the guys, they ALWAYS ask for these!) and Hobos for my husband's dinner.  The Fruity Pebble treats are made exactly the same way as rice krispy treats, except that you use fruity pebbles instead of rice krispies. You can do the same with cocoa krispies as well!
 Hobos are the best for camping! Our good friends, who now live in Greece, made these on one of our camping excursions and they quickly became well loved! You can make them with different fillings if you like. The original recipe calls for yellow squash and carrots, but as you'll see in our adapted recipe, corn as been swapped out. This is the way my husband likes it. So here it is:
Hobo Dinner
1 lb. lean ground beef
1 lg. potato, thinly sliced
1 lg. onion, thinly sliced
1/2 ear of corn, grilled (or boiled) & cut off the cob.
1 med. bell pepper, sliced
2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 tsp. parsley flakes (optional)

Prehead oven to 375 degrees. shape beef into 2 large patties. Place each on square of heavy duty foil. Place equal amounts of all the otehr ingredients on each patty. Wrap tightly. Seal ends and place on baking sheet. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes.

For camping just adapt. We normally just crumble the beef over the foil, place the other ingredients over it. Wrap tightly, sealing ends together and throw on the grill over the fire. Watch and turn to make sure you don't burn through the foil.

Enjoy!

Oh, and no, I don't get to go on the float trip this year. Something with me being pregnant and my husband not letting me go...lol. Which is fine. I'll enjoy my day at work Friday and then go to a friend's party on Saturday. It's all good!


1 comment:

  1. Your Hobo dinner reminds me of a girl scout recipe that we called Foil Dinners...add slices of carrots too!

    ReplyDelete